Monday, February 28, 2011

Know thyself...the memoirs of the city mouse

It is an invaluable experience to be able to travel the world, because as one lives in a variety of places he/she finds out more about him/herself and what he/she is best suited for. What if the city mouse had never visited his cousin the country mouse? Would he have appreciated his big city life?

I went diving the other day in Scarborough, Tobago and realized, while observing its lovely and lush landscape, and while sitting at the end of the pier with nothing but my wet-suit on...feeling as if I was part of the painting, that this is a place that I’m meant to visit…to drink deeply of…but nature is not my home. It is someplace that I go to connect with something deep…something primal, but it isn’t my home.
I am a city dweller. I love brick buildings, with their awnings, store windows, mood lighting and city street cafes and the sight of a city park next to city lofts. I love the sight of both cars and people going in every which way and direction, the flow of energy, the symphony of city noises and yet the order of human productivity.
I have come to realize that I live and thrive off the energy of those around me and as a fish takes to water, I swim in the sea of the busy metropolitan and it is the life-giving water to my skin. It fills my nostrels and my lungs. But I will admit..., from time to time it is nice to come up for a breath of fresh air.

Well now that I’m done with all the water analogies…take a look at my underwater adventure in Scarborough, Tobago. Hope you enjoy!


No comments: